Sunday, January 28, 2007

post 1

The World Wide Web provides the consumer a vast pool of information and resources. No matter what one's specific interest is, there is a site (or a thousand sites) completely devoted to it. For the modern day hypochondriac, that site would have to be 'http://www.webmd.com/.' This comprehensive site is every layperson's window into the complicated world of human health issues. Though its content can be more consequential at times, 'Web MD' uses the same conventions as every other popular website on the net. A complete search engine can be found as the centerpiece of the site. Just type in your affliction, and an in-depth description of the ailment appears along with many related links and articles from health journals, etc. While the search engine and huge archive of medical terms and concepts seems to be the focal point, the site features many other conventions used to gain attention. An ever-changing slideshow window scrolls through the week's featured topics and articles with pictures. Also, there is a 'Top 12 health issues' area with links to those respective topics. Each one has an amazing amount of supporting facts, both qualitative and quantitative. Of course, like any other spot on the web, flashing advertisements on the top and sides of the screen change constantly, vying for recognition. However, there are some very unique parts of 'Web MD.' One window gives direct access to the "weight loss clinic" within the site. By providing some basic information about one's health and lifestyle, a personalized weight loss program is given. Considering that obesity is one of America's most prevalent health issues, I would guess that this window is fairly popular. In addition to a large library of useful information, there are several interactive aspects of the site. There is a poll found at the bottom, which asks a new health relevant question every day/week. After you answer, you can immediately view the results of others' polls. Also, there are interactive quizzes, self-assessments, etc. available for those who need the "hands on" approach.
Compared to other sites of the genre, 'WebMD' does an excellent job of making their information and links aesthetically pleasing, as well as highly relevant. You wouldn't think by looking at the first page, that is a window into one of the largest archives of health related topics known to the layperson. Because those who use this site are usually very average people, I really appreciate the approach of simplicity and relevance. Furthermore, if the site doesn't directly provide one with the facts they need, there is always a link to a site that will. This combination of a vast database, and Internet resorting creates one of the better informative sites around. More and more, I use 'WebMD' to relieve my health concerns, and to avoid visits to the doctor's office which leaves me with no new information, and 40 less dollars in my pocket. The advent of the Internet and its many facets of knowledge have changed the way we look at all aspects of life, including our health.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I have to admit that when I wonder if I am coming down with an ailment that I am not entirely familiar with, I immediately log on to check out WebMD. I feel much more comfortable searching for the illness I believe could be invading my body and comparing my symptoms to those listed than actually going in to see a doctor. Plus, it costs less being free. This site gives people a sense of anonymity and comfort when medical problems can be embarrassing. Also it can save you a trip to a doctor with the Home Remedies section. I have yet to actually have anything serious, but thanks to WebMD, I knew that before I took the trip.

davidkk said...

What's up Brady! Just stopped by to check out your writing. Dude, this is the first time I heard about WebMD, but I checked it out and it's pretty useful. I'm not feeling ill or nothing, so I don't think I can use this service yet, but I'm definitely going to check it when I get sick. Only thing I kind of reluctance I might have is the authencity of this thing. What if the site points to one illness, but I find out later that i have something like the Avian Flu? I'm not sure why I'm complaining to you really. Just commenting on your work. Anyway, I'll see ya latez at class. Thanks for letting me know about this site.

annaters said...

Do you realize that you left me a comment that says "g" that's all...? I thought that was a bit strange.

I like the website you chose though, I use it a lot actually. I'm always paranoid that I have some strange ilness, sometimes it has been the case, however usually wedmd calms me down.

It really did help me when my mom got sick though, she started calling me in the middle of the night and I woke up and went downstairs, she said she tried to stand up and almost fainted then threw up on the floor.

I ckecked webmd and it was a bloodpressre spike, relatively harmless, but it was way scary.

Anyway nice post, I look forward to seeing what video you chose.